Well, of course it isn’t exactly like that. What will make me REALLY fat is not being able to control my chocolate/any kind of sweet cravings when I’m studying (this gets harder as I get more anxious about my oral exam and the lack of time ahead and…)
The thing is, our fridge is almost empty today. The things inside it aren’t those you’d love to have if your sweet tooth is calling. I’m in my pjs, Nico is almost in the same situation, and we don’t even feel like going to Meijer, mainly because we are supposed to be studying really hard, not going chocolate shopping.
In moments like this, vegan recipes come really handy, because they don’t call for things like eggs or milk or cream. I made one of those today (here’s the original recipe), but since I made some changes (mainly because I didn’t have all the ingredients), I’ll post my version. Enjoy.
Almost vegan brownie-like cake
- 1.25 cup whole wheat flour
- 6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water
- generous 1/2 chopped red apple (the only thing I had was a Gala apple; I didn’t even peeled it; yes, I did wash it!)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar (I was surprised at first, just as you are now)
- 1/2 cup honey + maple syrup (our syrup has a smokey taste, so I didn’t want to use half a cup of it, I “diluted” it with honey, and then the recipe wasn’t vegan anymore)
- chopped walnuts (I didn’t measure them out… just added them to the batter until it seemed enough)
1) Preheat the oven to 350 F
2) Combine all dry ingredients (minus the walnuts) in a bowl
3) Blend the apple with the water and vinegar (I added some vanilla extract as well) until smooth
4) Add the syrup and apple mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until completely mixed. Fold in the walnuts. Pour into a greased pan (I used an 8×8″ pyrex one)
5) Bake for 30 minutes
6) What are you waiting for? Eat it!! It is even more decadent when warm.