Let me briefly tell the story of these cookies. A long time ago, when I still lived in Argentina and I met Nico, I made these cookies once (I don’t remember exactly whether it was a special occasion or what; I just felt like making them). They were a complete success. Honestly, there’s no way to not like these cookies.
More than a year later, Nico was living in Chicago and I went to visit him. Among a few other requests, he wanted me to bring the recipe for these cookies with me, and make them while I was there. I couldn’t refuse. For some reason, I left the recipe at his apartment instead of taking it back to Buenos Aires. This way, I took me another 6 months to have the recipe again.
After making these cookies a couple of times in East Lansing, they were already “famous”. When I offered Larry to cook something for his oral exam, he didn’t have to think it twice, and chose these. Some months later, Alli wanted to make “thank you” cookies and asked me for this recipe. And she did the same when she moved to Sweden. Another friend, Nick, is defending his Master’s Thesis tomorrow, and when I asked him, he chose these same cookies. And these remain as Nico’s favorite cookies ever. This isn’t surprising: they are delicious!
The main reason for this post, however, is that the original copy of this recipe is a piece of newspaper, and I don’t want to lose it.
So here we go:
Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 200 g unsalted butter (~2 sticks minus 1 tbsp)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips (I prefer semi-sweet or dark chocolate)
- grated zest of 1 orange
1) Beat the butter and the sugar until you get an almost white creamy mixture.
2) Add the salt and baking powder, mix well and then add the eggs.
3) Add the flour, mixing well without beating.
4) Fold in the orange zest and chocolate chips; once the ingredients are well-mixed, let it sit in the fridge for 4 hours.
5) Take the dough out of the fridge, cut the cookies and cook them at 350 F until golden.
6) Be VERY careful. These cookies are really easy to inhale.